Instructor Training Course
Hawaiian Diving Adventures
This is the big one, the “I’m ready” certification! Take people diving for the very first time and share that moment of wonder with a student’s first glimpse of the undersea world. This Instructor Development Course builds on what was learned in the SSI Assistant Instructor course and helps students hone the necessary skills, techniques, and experience to independently teach open water scuba training courses, as well as safely teach and guide non-certified divers underwater.
This course may be combined with the Assistant Instructor course.
An independent Instructor Evaluation is conducted at the end of the course. HDA makes every reasonable effort to ensure students are ready to pass the Instructor Evaluation. However, completing the course does not guarantee the candidate will pass their Instructor Evaluation. The instructor exam may be re-taken if needed.
How It Works
This course starts with online e-Learning. We step back into the classroom and teach you how to give lessons to students. You prepare lectures and learn how to lead discussions with students. We also spend at least 3 days in both confined and open water environments where you learn to present and evaluate skills in those contexts. This course usually takes 3-5 days depending on how quickly the materials are learned.
The online e-Learning courses can be completed in just a few days. Once you complete the online learning, we spend 2-3 sessions in the classroom, 1-2 sessions in confined water, and 2-3 sessions in open water environments. Each session is about 4 hours long but is adjustable. Instructor courses are typically taught on an individual basis with one on one instruction. Scheduling can be fluid depending on your needs and staff availability.
The Instructor course prepares students for the Instructor Exam, a 2 day session with an SSI examiner who actually issues the certification.
What to Bring
- All divers who are working their way towards earning an Instructor Certification must own their own equipment. This includes a wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, BCD, regulator, gauge, and dive computer.
- You can bring a towel, sunglasses & maybe a hat for the boat trips (we have a dry storage area).
- Bring your underwater camera & its waterproof casing to get the best shots!
- We provide drinking water, fresh pineapple & snacks, but you can also bring your own.
- The minimum age is 18 years old.
- You must have a doctor’s approval to dive within the last 12 months.
- If you have questions, please contact Hawaiian Diving Adventures to discuss your particular circumstances before registration.
- When scheduling your training dives, you must allow at least 18 hours after diving before flying. This is important — you cannot fly the same day after scuba diving.
Upon completion of this course, you will be qualified to take the Instructor Examination, administered by SSI. Once you pass the Instructor Examination, you are a certified Open Water Instructor who can independently teach new divers. You can also teach Enriched Air Nitrox, Advanced Adventurer, Stress and Rescue, and Dive Guide.
$2,900 (does not include the cost of Instructor Exam)
Courses must be booked over the phone: call now at 808-232-3193.